Skip to main content

Full text of "Rutland Historical Society Quarterly Vol.10, No.2, 1980"

See other formats



Volume X No. 2 

Spring 1980 


Captain William Young Warren Ripley was the- first man in Vermont to 
volunteer officially for the Union Army. His speech in the old Rutland Town Hall 
on Main Street inspired the Rutland Light Guards to volunteer as Company K of 
the 1st Regiment of Vermont Volunteers in the Civil War in May, 1861. The 
Rutland Light Guards had been organized as a unit of the state uniformed militia 
on November 13, 1858. In 1859 Ripley became Captain of the Rutland Light Guards. 
He later rose to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the First United States Sharp- 









Tub Rutland Light Guards was organ- 
ized by Gen. F. W. Hopkins, under special 
order from the Commander-in-Chief, on the 
13th November, 1858. 

The company then numbered about sixty- 
five members, consisting of young men of 
such character and standing, and of such zeal 
and energy, as give the most favorable aus- 
pices for future permanency and succesB, 



1st LIEUT. WfiX- Y, W. RIPLEY, 





CAFf , II. IL 3tAXT£K, 







MARK S. RICHARDSON, Treasure r- 

OREL COOK, JR., Surgeon. 



Allen, A. B, 

Baxter, H, Henry 
Bennett, Wm. E 
Billings, Benj. Jr. 
Billings, J. I). 
Bracket*, J. D. F. 
Bradford, H. J. 
Carpenter, Cyrel 
Chaffee, Frederick 
Cluff, S. F. 
Collins, I. N. 
Cutting, Wm. W. 
Douglass, H. B. 
Duuklee, George 
Edgerfcon, Win' G. 
Fenn, Francis 
Feniham, Charles 
Ft sfer, Ira C , 
Gcddard, Joseph 
Gcodno. Wm, A. 
Gculd, Wm. H. H. 
Graves, George E. 
Green, Nahum J, 
Harlow, D. 
Hills, Frank C. 
HiJs, C. P. 
Howard, Judson N« 
He we, C. E. 
J e, mess, Samuel B\ 
Ki.igsley, L, D. 
Ki lgsley. Robert 
Kingsley, M, P. 
Ki- burn John B. 

j Kinne, L. D, 

Landon, Walter C. 
Litchfield, Wm. W. 

Lyon, Thomas 
McDaniels, Isaac Gen, 
MeClure, David G, 
Marrs, Thomas 

Morehouse, R. D. 
Monlthrop, Robert 
Mower, George C 
Mower, Oscar G. 
Nichols, Win. T. 
Page, Thomas J. 
Patch, Albert 
Patterson, C. B. 
Piper, I. R. 
Putnam, James M. 
Richardson, Mark S. 
Richardson, C. F. 
Ripley, Wm. Y. W, 
Roberts, George T. 
RoyB, Lyman 
Stale?, S. G. 
Thompson, Wm. B. 
Thrall, Wm. B. 
Todd, Grin 
Turner, M. C. 
Tower, Bradley 
Weeden, 8. B. 
Willard, I. R. 
Williams, Moses 
Williams, Samuel 
Wyraan, J. R. 



from the 


Article 1. Each uniform corps shall annually elect three directors of such corps, 
who may contract and be contracted with, and may hold, purchase, and convey, 
for the benefit of the corps, such estate, real or personal, as may be necessary for 
the use of the corps. 

Art. 2. It shall be the duty of the directors to take charge of, and safely preserve, 
and keep in good order and repair, the arms, instruments, and munitions of war, 
belonging to the state, which may be entrusted to the corps; and for this purpose 
they may purchase or provide a suitable armory, and take charge of the same: 
and they shall take charge and have a general supervision of all the property 
belonging to the corps. And for defraying the expenses of such armory and other 
necessary matters, they may raise and collect such taxes as the majority of the 
corps shall by vote direct, at any regular meeting warned for that purpose. 

Art. 3. The directors may, when authorized by such vote of the corps, purchase 
the necessary uniforms and equipments for the whole number, at their own ex- 
pense, and may annually lease the same to the several members thereof for such 
annual rent as shall be reasonable or just; or when authorized by the corps to pur- 
chase uniforms and equipments for individual members, they shall have power to 
collect payment for the same from each member thereof: or such corps shall pro- 
cure such uniform and equipments in such other way as they shall by vote direct. 

Art. 4. All the property of the state in the care of the corps shall be kept at a 
general depot, and no member shall be permitted to take away any article 
therefrom, unless by permission of the captain, and then only to be used on 
military occasions, under a penalty of five dollars. 

Art. 5. The captain shall preside at all meetings for the transaction of business, 
preserve order, appoint all committees, call extra meetings, inflict penalties pro- 
vided by the by-laws, and see that the laws are carried into effect. He shall have 
no vote on any question coming before the corps, except in case of an equal divi- 
sion, when his vote shall decide. In his absence the oldest officer present shall ex- 
ercise his duty. 

Art. 6. Each corps shall annually elect a treasurer, who shall receive from the 
Justice before whom fines are collected, all moneys for fines recovered from the 
members of the corps, giving his receipt therefor, and all other moneys belonging 
to the corps, and shall pay out the same on orders drawn on him by the auditor; 
and shall keep a book of accounts, in which he shall charge himself with all 
moneys received, from whatever source, and credit himself with all moneys paid 
out on such orders; and shall pay out no money except on such orders; and shall 
render an account to the corps once in each year. 

Art. 7. Each corps shall annually elect an auditor, who shall audit all accounts 
of the directors and others, and shall draw his order on the treasurer for the pay- 
ment of such account, or such parts thereof as he shall allow. He shall keep an ac- 
curate account of all orders drawn by him, and all accounts on file as his 
vouchers, and shall exhibit the same to the corps annually. 

Art. 8. All moneys in the treasury of each corps, whether collected from fines or 
from whatever source, shall be appropriated to the purchase of ar- 
mories, uniforms, equipments, tents, musical instruments, repairing and clean- 
ing arms, or any other purpose not inconsistent with this act and military usage, 
to which they shall, by their vote or by-laws, apply the same. 

Art. 9. The clerk shall receive out of any funds of the corps five dollars annually 
as a compensation for keeping the records, rolls, and issuing orders and making 
returns, and for other services which may be required by this act. 

Art. 10. All notifications for drills, meetings and other purposes, shall be given 
by publication thereof, signed by the clerk, in some newspaper, circulating within 
the corps; and if there be no such paper, then such notification shall be given as 
provided for other companies in this act, unless otherwise provided for by the by- 
laws of such corps. 


Art. 11. Each corps shall parade for instruction and drill, and shall hold such 
other meetings for improvement and business, in addition to the times prescribed 
in this act, as they shall by their vote or by-laws direct. 

Art. 12. The treasurer of each corps shall give bonds to the captain, with one or 
more sureties, in the sum of five hundred dollars. 




Article 1. This Company shall be known and designated The Rutland Light 

Art. 2. Any person may be admitted a member of the company by a vote of two- 
thirds of the members present, on signing the Rules and Regulations, provided he 
be proposed by the committee of examination, hereinafter provided. 

Art. 3. There shall be chosen annually, in the month of December, a committee 
of three to be called a committee of examination, whose duty it shall be to inquire 
into the character of every applicant for admission into the company; and if such 
applicant shall be found to be suitable, they shall propose him to the company for 

Art. 4. To enforce the principles of subordination, at all meetings of the com- 
pany, the senior officer present shall preside, and strict obedience shall be paid to 
his commands, both in debate and in military maneuvers, and the members of the 
company pledge themselves to support their officers in the discharge of their 
duties on all occasions, and to discountenance all improper conduct, and insubor- 
dination that may be discovered towards any of them. 

Art. 5. The Orderly Sergeant shall attend every meeting of the company, and 
shall parade them, call the roll, or receive the reports of the sergeants and cor- 
porals under him, unless otherwise ordered. He shall prepare all new members 
for the ranks, by teaching them the steps, facings wheelings and the manual exer- 
cise, calling in aid such Sergeants and Corporals as he may deem necessary; 
unless a competent instructor be otherwise provided for that purpose. He shall 
also keep an orderly book with a roll of the names of the members. 

Art. 6. It shall be the duty of the clerk to keep a record of the proceedings of the 
company, all orders issued, and notify all meetings as required by law. He shall 
collect all moneys due to the company, from whatever source, and pay over to the 
treasurer once a month, and keep an account of the same. He shall, at the first 
regular meeting in each month, report an account of all moneys received, and all 
that are in arrears at that time. 

Art. 7. The Treasurer shall discharge all the duties required of him by the Rules 
and Regulations provided by statute. He shall give bonds in the sum of two hun- 
dred dollars, and shall render an account once a month, at the first monthly 

Art. 8. If any member shall be found intoxicated, with the uniform of the com- 
pany on him, the Captain shall take immediate measures for his discharge. 

Art. 9. It shall be the duty of the Lieutenants to examine the uniforms and 
equipments of the soldiers, whenever called together for military duty, and if any 
member be found deficient in any article, he shall pay a fine of twenty-five cents 
for each article. 

Art. 10. The members shall pay such assessments, at such times and in such 
sums as they shall by vote provide, for the expenses and for the benefit of the com- 

Art. 11. Any member may be discharged by a vote of the company, provided, 
every debt he may owe the company be paid, and not otherwise, unless the com- 
pany shall cancel such debt. 

Art. 12. If any member be guilty of any disorderly conduct while on duty, he 
may be dismissed from the company by a vote of a majority present at any 
regular meeting. 


Art. 13. Any member who shall absent himself from any two successive 
meetings, for drill or any other business, shall pay a fine of twenty-five cents, 
which fine shall in no case be remitted. 

If he neglect to attend on public parade days, he shall pay a fine of one dollar, if 
not until after roll-call, fifty cents. 

If he shall retire from a private meeting, without leave of the presiding officer, 
he shall pay a fine of fifty cents. 

If any member shall leave town, to be absent one week or more, without obtain- 
ing a furlough from the officer commanding, and notifying the clerk thereof, he 
shall pay all assessments and fines accruing during his absence. 

If he shall remove his residence without notifying the clerk, he shall pay a fine 
of twenty-five cents. 

Art. 14. Any deceased member shall be buried with military honors, unless it be 
contrary to the wishes of his friends; and any one who shall neglect to attend on 
such an occasion, shall pay three dollars, unless a satisfactory excuse be 
rendered within ten days after. 

Art. 15. The Orderly Sergeant shall examine the company's books and accounts 
and settle with the Clerk and Treasurer, and report thereon at the first meetings 
in June and December, annually. 

Art. 16, Each section shall meet, during the winter months, one evening in each 
week; and the regular meetings of the company shall be on the first Monday of 
each month, at such time and place as shall be designated by vote. 

Art. 17. Each member pledges himself to uniform and equip himself in such 
manner as shall be designated by a vote of the company. 

Art. 18. These Rules and Regulations shall be published in pamphlet form, and 
distributed to each member; shall be recorded in the Orderly Book and signed by 
each member, and may be amended by a vote of two-thirds present at any regular 
meeting, notice thereof being given at a regular meeting previous. 

The Franklin House was one of the leading taverns in Rutland. Located on the 
site of the Munn Tavern of the late eighteenth century, it was kept by Henry Gould 
in the early nineteenth century. In 1829 Nathaniel Gould, brother of Henry, refit- 
ted the building and renamed it the Franklin House. The building had numerous 
operators until its destruction by fire on April 3, 1868, 




Mr. .\ 



Flit If 1 

Kl, 1,(1,, I, I iKt, I, 

f ;y 

• :um,t 


J'WrMi'J'l- '■ 






Captain Walter C. Landon, First Lieutenant Stephen G. Staley, and Second 
Lieutenant Edgar M. Rounds recruited Company K of the 12th Regiment of Ver- 
mont Volunteers, which was mustered into active duty on October 4, 1862. The of- 
ficers had been non-commissioned officers in the Rutland Light Guards that had 
been mustered for three months as Company K of the 1st Vermont Regiment of 
Volunteers in 1861. Most of the men in this new company, recruited for nine mon- 
ths, were from Rutland, but few had been members of the original Company K. 
This unit aided in the repulse of Confederate General J. E. B. Stuart's raid at 
Fairfax Courthouse, Virginia, on December 28, 1862. 



The Rutland Light Guards — Their Organization — Who Composed it — A 
Splendid Record, 

This company was organized Nov. 13th, 1858. The first meeting at which the for- 
mation of the company dated from, was held Sept. 11th the same year, that also 
being the date of the declaration which was signed by the members, but after the 
signature it was necessary for authority from the commander in chief to organize 
and elect officers. The adjutant general at that time was Geo. B. Kellogg, and 
Gen. F. W. Hopkins was directed to cause the enrollment and preside at the elec- 
tion of officers which he did Nov. 13. There were sixty-three names enrolled and 
the following persons elected officers: captain, H. H. Baxter; 1st Lieut. W. Y. W. 
Ripley; 2d Lieut., Ira C. Foster; 3d Lieut., Cyril Carpenter. At that time it was 
necessary, to have directors of the company, and usually they were not all 
members of the company. The following were elected: Hon. Solomon Foot, H. H. 
Baxter and Isaac McDaniels. At the next meeting the following non- 
commissioned officers were appointed by Capt. Baxter; 1st sergeant, Isaac 
McDaniels; 2d, Geo. T. Roberts; 3d, J. M. Putnam; 4th, L. E. Royce; 1st corporal, 
0. G. Mower; 2d, L. G. Kingsley; 3d, W, H. H. Gould; 4th, J. B. Kilburn. The 
selectmen allowed the company the use of the town hall, and General Hopkins 
kindly consented to drill the company, but Captain Brush was soon employed to 
do the drilling. Within three months fifteen new recruits were taken. About this 
time the question of a uniform came up. The officers subscribed $250 towards it, 
23 men purchased a uniform out and out, and 31 paid one-half the price of a 
uniform. The Rutland and Burlington R. R. gave $100, and 42 citizens gave $500 
more. Afterwards Captain Baxter gave $100 more and $213 to pay the entire bill 
was made up later. The uniform was gray, trimmed with red and gilt. For the sup- 
port of the company each member was taxed, but as some had more cash than 
others, or were better able to pay, the company was divided into two classes: No. 
1 to be assessed $2,75 and class No. 2, $1.50 per annum. On Nov. 7, 1859, Captain 
Baxter resigned on account of his election to the office of Adj't General of the 
State, and lieutenant Foster on account of poor health. W. Y. W. Ripley was 
unanimously elected captain; G. T.Roberts, 1st lieutenant; L. E. Royce 2d lieute- 
nant, and L. G, Kingsley 3d lieutenant. On November 19th, pursuant to arrange- 
ment the company had a target shoot, during a hard rain, at the fair grounds, J. 
B. Kilburn winning the gold medal, which he was to hold for one year and which 
was then to be put up again. After the target practice, at which 39 competed, the 
company had a dinner at the Franklin house. Senator Foot was present and made 
a speech, as also did major Howard and captain Ripley. On February 6th, L. G, 
Kingsley was elected 2nd lieutenant, vice Royce resigned, and J. B. Kilburn 3d 
lieutenant, vice Kingsley promoted. In March captain Ripley notified the com- 
pany "that they were very much in need of a bass drum," and they purchased 
one, although the records do not say what it was needed for, unless to take the 
place of cannon. Under date of May 8th we find the following singular record, 
"—"who had been discharged "refused to return his uniform, the reason said to 
be given by him for not returning it is that he was not of age when he enlisted into 
the company and was not legally holden to the agreement signed by him. (In 
justice to the memory of Mr. — we will add that his name is down among those 
who paid in full for one uniform, and that afterwards the uniform was returned. 
Later Mr.— was distinguished in the union cause — Ed.) May 17, '60, the Co. 
buried with military honors their first comrade, S. R. Weeden. July 4, 1860, the 
company visited Troy with 64 men. The company were the guests of the citizens' 
corps and of General Wool. They marched to his residence, and each man was in- 
troduced to the general, after which they partook of refreshments on the veranda 
of his house, Those who went can explain more about that. The charge of the 
railroad was $100 and of the band $2 per man. On the 16th of August following the 
company helped celebrate at Bennington the anniversary of the battle of Benn- 
ington. A characteristic resolution we copy for the benefit of the present organiza- 


Whereas on the occasion of the parade of the Rutland Light Guards on Saturday 
last, Mr. — , a member of the corps, became so much intoxicated as to be unable 
to attend to the duties of his office: 

Resolved, That the said — be expelled from the company, and his name be 
stricken from the roll. 

We find that in those days there was such a thing as muster, and at a meeting 
held August 20th the order for the company to muster at Berlin, near Montpelier, 
August 29th, 30th and 31st was read. The Keene, N. H. band offered their services 
free of expense excepting the payment of their fares from Keene to Rutland. Each 
man was to take in his haversack three days' rations. In the resolution of thanks 
which was passed on the return of the company from the muster we find that each 
member of the Light Guard pledged himself to "extend the reputation of the 
Keene Band," and also that E. A. Chapin, of the Rutland and Burlington railroad 
passed the band from and to Keene. On November 13th the second annual target 
shoot took place at the fair ground. Three rounds were fired by each soldier, 
Henry Davis winning the medal; Edgar M. Rounds taking the 2d prize of $12, 
William Rounds the 3d of $8, and William Dorrance the 4th of $5. After the 
shooting the company sat down to a sumptuous repast at the Central house, kept 
by sergeant Walter Landon, and listened to the annual and eloquent speech of 
senator Foot. Major Howard, Messrs. John Cain, Brownson, Nichols, Lieut. 
Roberts and quartermaster sergeant McManners also delighted the boys with 
bursts of eloquence. 

About this time the company had a ball, and the first meeting of the new year 
was signalled by a report of the ball committee that the company lost $43.09 on 
that ball. 

The west side of Merchants Row showed commercial development in 1870, 
From left to right were the Central House, Kingsley's Old Red Store, J. Auid's 
Fish Market, Clifford's Meat Market and the Rutland County Bank. The tallest 
building next north was the Ripley Block and Opera House. 


This brings us down to an important epoch in the history, not only of the Light 
Guards, but of the country. On February 9th a special meeting was called to con- 
sider an important general order emanating from the authorities of Vermont, and 
if we are not mistaken it is the first action taken by any of the states in reference 
to the great war, upon the brink of which the country then stood; the first action 
looking toward a war, and as the action was that of a state official who was, not 
only the first captain of the Light Guards, but actually a member at the time, and 
as the first response was made to the call by this company it is eminently proper 
that it should be embodied in the history of it. The following is the order: 

State of Vermont 

Adj't and Insp'r Gen. Office 

Rutland, Jan. 25, 1861 

It is hereby ordered that the commanding officers of each company of the 
uniformed militia ascertain at once whether any men in their command are 
unable or indisposed to respond to the orders of the commander-in-chief, made 
upon any requisition of the president of the United States, to aid in the main- 
tainence of the laws and the peace of the union, that they may be discharged and 
their places filled by men ready for any public exigency which may arise. 

H. H. Baxter, Adj't and Ins'r Gen. 

It seems that private Nichols made an address to the boys which was received 
with great applause and enthusiasm, after which the roll was called, and those in 
favor of responding to this order answered "Yes", while those opposed "No." 
There were 75 members of the company, of whom 53 were present. Of those pre- 
sent 52 responded yes and one no, and nine of the absent 22 voted by proxy, yes. 
We will not give the name of the solitary individual who objected to fight in the 
defense of his country, — but that our readers may judge of the character of the 
man, we will relate a little incident. On the return from their three months cam- 
paign, a jollification was given the company at which that solitary person was 
present. At a convenient opportunity he sided up to Capt. Ripley and whispered, 
"I'm awful sorry I didn't go, you had a jolly time, didn't you; if 1 had only known 
that there would have been no one hurt, 1 would have gone." 

General Horace Henry Baxter arrived in Rutland in 1854 as a successful 
railroad contractor and builder at the age of 36. In Rutland he entered the marble 
business by the purchase of the William F. Barnes marble quarries, which he 
later incorporated into the Rutland Marble Company. His talents for organization 
were brought to the benefit of the State of Vermont when he was appointed Adju- 
tant General of the State of Vermont, a post he held during most of the Civil War. 


On April 1st, the company had a meeting at which a number of new members 
were elected, then the record skips to the 25th, passing over the day at which the 
chivalry from South Carolina fired the shot which echoed from every mountain 
crag, and broke the bands which shackled three million bondsmen. On the 25th, 
the company was called together "to make the final arrangements for active ser- 
vice in the U.S. army," which shows that the company was one of those accepted 
by the State to form the 1st regiment. The company letter was K, it numbered 79 
rank and file. The following are the names: 


1st Lieutenant 


1st sergeant 



4th " 

Corporals: S. G. 

E.M. Rounds, E 



W. Y.W.Ripley 


L. G. Kingsley 

W. G.Edgerton 

J. A. Sheldon 

W.C. Landon 

T. Lamson 

Staley, W. B. Thrall, 


W. H.H.Gould 
W. M. Round 

Bradford, H. J. 
Barrett, C. 
Croft, G.E. 
Claghorn, C. 
Clark, S.M. 
Clark, R. 
Davis, W.H. 
Davis, G.E. 
Dudley, C. P. 
Dorrance, W. J. 
Donnelly, J. 
Everson, G. J. 
Everson, J., Jr. 
Fenn, F. 
Gaines, J. C. 
Gill more, W. R. 
Griggs, G.H. 
Green, N. J. 
Gee, F. 

Gleason, D. M. 
Geru, Z. 
Goslin. M. 
Hall, I. S. 
Huntoon, F. T. 
Huntoon, C. F. 
Hicks, E.B. 
Howard, J.N. 
Hills, C. K. 
Hills, G. P. 
Kenney, L. D. 

Kelley, S.H. 
Lyman, M. 
Lee, G. A. 
Leach, M. W. 
Moulthrop, R. 
Moore, J. G. 
Nichols, W. T. 
Newman, T. R. 
Newcomb, G. W. 
Parker, A. 
Rouse, H. D. 
Rounds, R. 
Ross, J. W. 
Reynolds, E. 
Post, J. E. 
Smith, J. F. E. 
Smith, A. D. 
Spencer, A. 
Spaun, A. W. 
Southard, T. 
Sheldon, H. G. 
Thompson, W. B. 
Thayer, G. F. 
Thayer, W. H. 
Thrall, B.B. 
Thrall, R.R. 
Turrel, S. 
Warren, G. W. 
Webb, H. 
White, A. W. 
Whitney, E. 
Bronson, M. V.B. 

The following is a brief record of the members of the company: 

Captain W. Y. W, Ripley was appointed Lieut. Col. in 1st Reg. U.S. Sharp 
Shooters, and was in command of his regiment in nearly all of the battles of the 
Peninsula campaign. In several instances he distinguished himself by personal 
bravery and gallant conduct At the battle of Malvern Hill he was severely wound- 
ed in the leg and obliged to leave the service. Afterwards appointed colonel of the 
10th Vt. but unable to accept on account of his wound. 

Lieutenant George T, Roberts was appointed colonel of the 7th Vt. Reg. 1861, 
and fell at the battle of Baton Rouge, in 1862. Colonel Roberts was one of the 
bravest of Vermont's sons, and none knew him but to love and respect him. 

Lieutenant Levi G. Kingsley was elected captain of the Rutland Light Guards 
August 11th, 1862. The company was then ordered into service and assigned to the 
12th Vt. regiment, nine months men, commanded by Col. A. P. Blunt. Captain 
Kingsley was promoted to major Sept. 27, 1862. 

Sergeant Walter C. Landon was 1st lieutenant in Co. K, 12th Vt. and was pro- 
moted to captain, Sept. 27, 1862. He resigned in February, 1863. 

Corporal Stephen G. Staley was 2d lieutenant in Co. K, was promoted to 1st 
lieutenant and then to captain. He died in March, 1875. 

Corporal Edgar M. Rounds was 1st serg't of Co. K. and afterwards promoted to 
2d lieutenant and finally to 1st lieutenant. 

Moses W. Leach was 2d serg't and afterwards promoted to 2d lieutenant of Co. 

Corporal Edward Coppins was 3d serg't and afterwards 1st serg't of Co. K. 

William H. Davis was promoted 2d serg't 

Milo Lyman was promoted 3d serg't 

Martin Goslin was promoted 4th serg't 

Reuben Thrall was promoted 5th serg't 

William F. Nichols was colonel of the 14th Vt. nine months men. 

Harley G. Sheldon was a sergeant in Co. H, 14th Vt. and was afterwards pro- 
moted 2d lieutenant in company K. 

George W. Newcomb enlisted in the U. S. Infantry and was promoted sergeant. 

Edwin F, Reynolds was commissioned captain of company F, 6th Vt. and fell at 
the battle of Lee's Mills, while leading his company. He was a valued and brave 
officer, and died, as he lived, a true soldier. 

Elijah Whitney was commissioned 1st lieutenant in company F, 6th Vt. and has 
since resigned. 

George W. Warren was appointed lieutenant in a N.Y. regiment, afterwards 
promoted captain and then major. He died last March. 

M, V. Bronson was commissioned lieutenant in the 1st U. S. sharp shooters. 

Charles P. Dudley was commissioned captain of company E, 5th Vt. and after- 
wards promoted major. Major Dudley was a very brave officer. He lost an arm 
while cutting his way through the rebel lines at the battle of the Wilderness and 
died a few days after from his wounds. 

Franklin F. Huntoon was commissioned 1st lieutenant in company H, 1st Vt. 
cavalry, and was afterwards promoted to captain of his company. He was taken 
prisoner in the spring of 1863. 

Zebulon Grue enlisted in company H, 1st Vt. cavalry, and promoted sergeant. 

George Everson, James Everson and Albert Spencer enlisted in company H, 1st 
Vt cavalry. 

Samuel H. Kelley was commissioned 1st lieutenant in company B, 10th Vt., 
afterwards promoted to captain of his company. 

Myron Clai^k enlisted in the 11th R.I., and was promoted to sergeant. 

Sergeant William G. Edgerton was appointed captain in the 11th regulars, 
August 5, 1861. 

George Lee was 1st sergeant in the 11th regulars. 

Sergeant John A. Sheldon was commissioned captain of company C, 10th Vt., 
afterwards commissary of subsistence. 

George Croft was commissioned 2d Lieutenant in company D, 7th Vt., after- 
wards captain of it. 


Corporal W. B. Thrall was commissioned 1st lieutenant company D, 7th Vt.; 

Samuel F. Buell was appointed QM sergeant 7th Vt.; promoted 2d lieutenant of 
company D. 

James E. Post and Wm. B. Thompson were sergeants in company D, 7th Vt. 

Serg't Thompson died in service and sergeant Post was discharged. 

The regiment left camp Fairbanks, May 9, Thursday, 1861, arriving in New 
York next morning, and on the 14th, Saturday afternoon, left for Fortress Monroe 
on the steamer Alabama, arriving on Monday morning, after a pleasant passage. 
May 23d the regiment encamped at Hampton, and on the 25th received orders to 
embark next morning on the gunboat Monticello for the James River. At 4 a.m. 
they struck tents and landed at Newport News during the forenoon, the Guards 
being the first company to land and occupy the position. A line of fortifications 
were commenced the same day extending across the point, which exercised the 
regiment with the other troops in the use of the pick and spade for two weeks. 

■ ------ 

i .: ■ 

- - iff/ M 

H.'-ir, = .1 II It l< II " <l l> 'I " ,■ ■ 1»*A_ 

' Mm' '■• &,"*fc^ 

ft ■ . £?f^ 

•- ,--""■ » if 

- .. 

June 10th occurred the memorable battle of Big Bethel, in which five of the com- 
panies of the regiment, including the Rutland Guards, together with other troops 
were engaged. After three hours of fighting the Union troops retired with the loss 
of 45, including killed and wounded, but none from Co. K. The Guards remained at 
Newport News during the remainder of their services, and left home on August, 
arriving at Brattleboro, where they were mustered out of the service. 

On the return of the company the organization was tacitly kept up, although the 
records or the want of the records show but few meetings, and no business was 
transacted. On November 4, 1861. an attempt was made to celebrate their 
organization with the accustomed target shoot and supper, but it miscarried. 
Gradually the old members accepted positions and reentered active campaigning 





KKIDAT, UJ0UST i6,— 3 p. M. / ift>( 

. _ 


Ai tin' time of our going t<> press this 

morning,*]! wan expected, rVoui in.Wit.n- 

lion previously received from Bratlteboro 

i tlie Regimen, won Id leave thai plat* 

this lndiniu^r at ten o'clock, and v.. kg 

ted it in ntir rolumits. That infbi 
mimi however, prove* not to h*ve 

M-irily eotrcet* mihI w»* haw tluui«:lit 

besl to give to our village readers I lie 
folb peeialdistjhteh, whit-it we have 

$n»r receive**, from Sergt, Bdgerton of 
ilu- Borland Li>Ih Guard : 

:il Di>j/itch to tin II* ialU. 

Bit a i i An;. H>, 

2.30 V. M. 

W* leave bere Tor Rutland at four o% 
eloek, this tifterooon.* Tl«i~ [a official 

W m. ( i. I'.in.i j; i« »\. 

in the service. On April 5, 1862, the company elected a set of provisional officers to 
act during the interregnum, although the election was without warrant of law. 
The following were the officers: Captain L. G. Kingsley; 1st lieutenant, J. A. 
Sheldon; 2d, W. C. Landon; 3d, T. Lamson. On April 21, notice of the death of a 
comrade in the person of Captain Edward Reynolds, of the 6th Vt. regiment, who 
fell at the battle of Lee's Mills, the 17th, was received, and a meeting of the Light 
Guards was held at which W. T. Nichols gave some interesting reminiscences of 
the career of the dead comrade. Appropriate resolutions were passed and it was 
decided to give a military funeral to the deceased. 

August 11, pursuant to an order from Adj. and Insp. Gen. P. T. Washburn, the 
company legally elected the following officers: Captain, L. G. Kingsley; 1st 
lieutenant W. C. Landon; 2d, S. G. Staley. The order from Gen. Washburn pro- 
hibited the election of a 3d lieutenant, which locates the time when the State con- 
formed itself to the U. S. regulation for the number of officers in a company. Dur- 
ing the year a large number of persons had been elected members of the Rutland 
Light Guards to fill the drain upon its ranks which active services in the field 
seemed to make upon it. August 19, the company voted to offer its services to the 
State a second time, and were accepted for nine months service. At the same 
meeting the death of Colonel Geo. S. Roberts, of the 7th Vt. and lieutenant of the 
Light Guards, from wounds received at the battle of Baton Rouge was announced, 
and appropriate resolutions were passed. The Co. was assigned to the 12th regi- 
ment, Colonel Belmont, and left for Brattleboro, where they went into camp 
September 26. After arriving at Brattleboro, Captain Kingsley was elected Major 
of the regiment and lieutenant W. C. Landon was promoted Captain, 2d lieutenant 
S. G. Staley promoted 1st lieutenant, and sergeant E. M. Rounds promoted 2d 
lieutenant. The following were the non-commissioned officers of the company, as 
they were composed on leaving for the front. Sergeants, M. W. Leach, Ed Cop- 
pins, W. H. Davis and Milo Lyman. Corporals, Martin Goslin, R. R. Thrall, Theo 
Southard, Geo. E. Davis, Chas. Claghorn, Geo. H. Griggs, D. M. Gleason and Ruel 
Rounds. Drummer, Chas. Mason. Fifer, W. M. Smith. In addition to the commis- 
sion and non-commissioned officers, there were 82 men, making the number of 
rank and file 99 men, as follows : 

Hardy, J., wagoner 
Barney, H. 
Barrett, C. 
Bateman, C.P. 
Bissell, A. B. 
Bixby, J. M. 
Bourasso, N. 
Bradley, J. H. 
Burnett, A. B. 
Button, W. H. 
Cady, F.F. 
Campbell, W. 
Capron, H. W. 
Cheney, H. L. 
Chittenden, D. 
Clark, E. 
Clark, M.C. 
Clifford, S.H. 
Clifford, T. 
Conners, W. 
Constantine, J. 
Davis, J. H. 
Dyer, J. H. 
Edson, A. W. 
Edson, M.C. 
Felt, W. W. 


Field, A. W. 
Field, R. A. 
Fridett, J. 
Frink, J.S. 
Fuller, A. 
Fuller, J. 
Gee, F. 

Gleason, W. H. 
Gould, H. L. 
Granger, C. H. 
Harkness, W. E. 
Hathorne, C. A. 
Haynes, D.B. 
Hemenway, L. H. 
Jackson, E.C, 
Jackson, W.C. 
Jackson, W. H. 
Kennedy, M. 
Lee, H. H. 
Loesel, P. 
Lyston, E. 
Lyston, J. D. 
Mailhoit, J.P. 
McClure, L. A. 
Mead, J. A. 
Moore, J. G. 


Moore, T. A. E. 
Mussey, W. A. 
Nelson, E.S. 
Oney, W. 
Parker, A. 
Patch, J. H. 
Persons, L. L. 
Phalen, J. 
Plumer, C. 
Powers, C. J. 
Ray, G.H. 
Reynolds, T. E. 
Ripley, C.H, 
Rock, W. 

Ross, A. D. 
Sherry, M. 
Sherry, S. 
Slattery, M. 
Spaulding, C.R. 
Spawn, A. W. 
Tower, E.M. 
Tower, H.C. 
Wardwell, M.H. 
Waterhouse, C. 
Wilkins, G. A. 
Wilson, J. 


The record of Co. K, 12th regiment, for it seems the same letter was given the 
company in the 12th that they had in the 1st regiment, was briefly as follows: Oc- 
tober 7, 1862, left for Washington and arrived on the 9th. Up the 29th the second Vt. 
brigade, which consisted of the twelfth, thirteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth and six- 
teenth regiments, all nine months men, broke camp at East Capitol Hill, and 
crossing the Potomac, encamped on the Lee farm beyond Arlington Heights. 
November 9 they changed camp, locating near Fort Lyon, two miles from Alexan- 
dria. November 7, after some two weeks they went into winter quarters, Gen. 
Stoughton taking command of the brigade. December 12, they left their com- 
fortable winter shanties, and marched to Fairfax Court House. From the 17th to 
and including the 20th, the 12th regiment did picket duty at Centerville. On 
December 21st Gen. Stoughton encamped the brigade in a pine grove near Fair- 
fax Court House. On the night of December 28, 1862, the 12th regiment was under 
arms all night, and the next morning a large body of rebel cavalry attempted un- 
successfully to break through the lines. January 21, 1863, the 12th and 13th march- 
ed to Wolf Run Shoals, arriving the next day. The first snow storm which was a 
severe one occurred January 28. February 15, captain Landon resigned; 1st 
lieutenant Staley was appointed captain; 2d lieutenant Rounds 1st lieutenant, and 
orderly sergeant Leach 2d lieutenant. On March 9, the commander of the brigade, 
Gen. Stoughton, was captured. Sunday, May 3, the regiment took the cars at 
Union Mills, and rode to Catlet's Station, where K and G were left, rest of regi- 
ment went on to Bealton. There was a cavalry fight at Warrenton Junction, near 
Catlet's Station. May 26, all engaged in intrenching, Hooker in command, and 
June 15, the army is in motion; on the 17th the last train passed of Hooker's army, 
and the regiment moved back to Wolf Run Shoals and encamped near Mrs. 
Wilcoxson's. On the 25th broke camp and commenced the march, no one knowing 
where the brigade is bound; that night encamped beyond Centerville. This was 
the commencement of the march into Maryland, and Pennsylvania, after Lee, 
who had evaded Hooker, It rained all day; June 26 rain also continued, and so did 
the march, march, march of the brigade. Encamped at Hamden station for the 
night. On Saturday, 27, crossed Potomac river, leaving camp at 5 a.m., and 
camped at Pottsville for the night. Sunday the brigade was still engaged in its 
tramp, tramp, tramp, stopping at night near Adamstown. Monday, marched ail 
day in the rain, men dropping by the wayside, footsore and weary. Passed 
through Frederick, Md., at noon and camped two miles north for rest. Tuesday, 
June 30, up bright and early, but found the heavens still weeping, and all day the 
brigade tramped on in a drenching rain through muddy roads, many of the men 
leaving blood in their tracks. At night encamped near Evansburgh, Md. 

The tramp, tramp, tramp of the Union army had now brought them near the 
rebels, and on the memorable 1st of July the 2d Vt. brigade broke camp at 10 a.m., 
and the 12th regiment together with the 15th are ordered by Sickles to guard the 
1st corps train. The brigade is a part of the 1st Div. 1st corps. It rained hard all 
day, and in the middle of the afternoon they arrived within three miles of Get- 
tysburg. We drop the record. On the 5th, Sunday, the regiment started for 
Baltimore as escort of 2,500 prisoners, which they handed over to the authorities 
there. On the 9th, they arrived at Brattleboro and were mustered out within a few 
daySjCo. K reaching Rutland the 16th. During the march after Lee, after breaking 
camp 1 in Virginia, the company tramped 125 miles in eight days, during every one 
of which it rained. It certainly was rough on the boys, but if it had not rained, as 
many of Lee's officers have testified, the Union army would not have come up 
with the rebels, and the ending might have been different. 

Of the company, corporal Chas. Barrett, privates J. H. Bradley, Augustus 
Fuller and H. L. Gould died in service; Anthony Parker deserted October 6, '62, 
and Michael Sherry was discharged for disability. 

This article about the Rutland Light Guards is a reprint of an article that ap- 
peared in the Saturday Evening Review, Vol III, No. 22, Burlington, Vermont, 
September 13 f 1879. 


CentrevtUe, Virginia.— Past this little stone church on the night of July 20, 1881, and long into the morning of the 
twenty-first marched lines of hurrying troops. Their blue uniforms were new, their muskets bright and polished, and 
though some faces were pale their spirits were elated, for after their short training they were going to take part, for 
the first time, in the great game of war. It was the first move of the citizen soldier of the North toward actual con- 
flict. Not one knew exactly what lay before him. The men were mostly from New England and the Middle States. 
They had left desk and shop and farm and forge, and with the thought in their minds that the war would last for three 
months the majority had been mustered In. Only the very wise and farseeing had prophesied the Immensity of the 
struggle, and these were regarded as extremists. So on they went in long lines down the road in the darkness of the 
night, chattering, laughing and talking carelessly, hardly realizing In the contagion of their patriotic ardor the grim 
meaning of real war. The surprising battle that opened early In the morning, and whose results spread such conster- 
nation through the North, was really the result of popular clamor. 

The Kingsley Guard was the Rutland Company of the Vermont National Guard. 
It was named after General Levi G. Kingsley, who was elected Brigade Com- 
mander of the National Guard of Vermont in 1882. This photograph shows the 
Rutland unit in camp at St. Johnsbury in 1883. The officer with the full beard in the 
center is General Kingsley. 


The members of Roberts Post #14 of the Vermont Department of the Grand Ar- 
my of the Republic were photographed on the steps of Memorial Hall on West 
Street. This post was chartered November 11, 1868. The first meeting was held in 
the carpet room at Major Levi Kingsley's store on the west side of Merchants 
Row, next north of the Central House. In 1880 Levi G. Kingsley was post Com- 
mander. At that time there were about 180 members in this post, making it the 
largest in the state. The construction of Memorial Hall of the Grand Army of the 
Republic in Rutland was begun at 151 West Street in 1883. In 1931 it was torn down 
to make way for a new Federal Building and Post Office. The new building housed 
the Post Office, the Federal District Court and other federal offices. For several 
years the Rutland Free Library occupied quarters in the basement of Memorial 


From an account in the Rutland Herald of March 11, 1931, loaned through the 
courtesy of Lawrence Udart, we append the history of the construction, use and 
demolition of Memorial Hall. 

Slight nothing and hurry nothing — so that 100 years may look down and find 
everything in its exact place. ' 

** That was the order of the Selectmen of the Town of Rutland in 1886, when con- 
struction of Memorial Hall was started, and it quite likely reflected the attitude of 
the citizenry of the community of that time. Less than forty-five years later the at- 
titude must have changed considerably for on March 10, 1931 nothing but the foun- 
dation of this memorial remained. 

" In 1883 the selectmen of Rutland Town were authorized to buy a plot of ground 
and to plan a building. A citizens' committee of General Edward H. Ripley, 
Senator Redfield Proctor, Judge W. G. Veazey, the Reverend Charles L. Boylan 
and William H. Woodward was appointed to co-operate with the selectmen. The 
Town voted $25,000 and a public subscription raised funds to buy the Holmes tract 
of approximately 132 by 218 feet. Marble was donated by the many marble com- 
panies in the town. Milo Lyman was first superintendent of the construction and 
John C. Temple inspected the marble. Later, W. O. Morck succeeded Lyman as 


The Hall became a political issue in 1886, when, as a condition of the chartering 
of the separate towns of West Rutland and Proctor it was agreed that each of the 
three towns would support the completion of the building in proportion to each 
town's Grand List. Title to,the building passed to the Town and, when the City was 
chartered in 1892, it passed to the City, 

" For some reason, the Roberts Post of the G.A.R., the local veterans group of the 
Civil War, did not use the building as a meeting hall. The building was destined by 
the Selectmen of the town to be 'something that will in time become a great 
museum of relics, souvenirs and records of every sort and kind of the War for the 
Union ... of priceless value to those who shall come after us. ' 

" Plans for part of the building to be set aside for a public library were also in- 
cluded. Appropriately, a Rutland Free Library Association was formed in 1886. In 
March, 1889, the library moved to the lower floor of Memorial Hall. By 1890 the 
building was virtually completed. 

" Although relics, souvenirs and records were exhibited on the upper floor, there 
was no provision made to take care of them. The construction of the upper floors 
also made them relatively unsuitable for meeting places. Consequently, 
Memorial Hall became mainly the headquarters of the library. 

" So, in 1931 the City exchanged Memorial Hall for the U.S. Post Office and 
Courthouse on Court Street which was adapted for a library. Memorial Hall was 
levelled and a new U.S. Post Office and Courthouse constructed at the site. 
Memorial Hall became only a memory. " 



Grand Array of the Republic 


Adopted I^EslxcIx aSstSs., 1385. 





To all soldiers of the late war* in Rutland and vicinity : 

Comrades : — Memorial-day," now by law a legal holi- 
day, and always in a marked way soldiers' day, is this 
year particularly full of patriotic recollections. It is 
twenty years since the flag was first struck at, and the 
country, more in sorrow than in anger at this almost 
sacrilegious assault, gave her distress cry, and called 
upon all who loved the land of their fathers to stand by 
her in her hour of peril. 

Fortunately, such defenders were neither few nor 
weak. The call reached to all, and almost more than 
were needed responded. The best treasure and best 
blood were freely given until that was accomplished 
which the world had before regarded as impossible. In 
a country comparatively new and already in debt, a 
gigantic war, costing hundreds of thousands of lives and 
thousands of millions of dollars, was carried on for four 
years and brought to a successful issue, and as soon as 
it was over the nation settled down to the accustomed 
occupations with quite as little excitement or reaction 
as usually succeeds an English coronation or French 

And if the result of the war was new, the result of 
the era succeeding it is also new. The old order of 
" war, famine, pestilence/' has been with us war, peace, 
unexampled prosperity. Sage counsels, wise legisla- 
tion, excellent industry and thrift have prevailed. Other 
lands, inspired by the patent success of our own during 
these twenty years, have, not always wisely but never- 


theless surely, advanced the cause of individual rights. 
In short, everything gives earnest that *' this govern- 
ment of the people^ by the people, and for the people, 
shall not perish from off the earth," but shall one day 
stand like another Holy Land, the center from which 
republican principles and institutions shall have radia- 
ted, warmed and enlightened the whole world. 

But we cannot forget, and each succeeding year 
reminds us that all this had its price, and that it was a 
dear one. We cannot forget that but for the willing 
sacrifice of these brave men who sleep in yonder graves 
it might have been otherwise. We cannot forget that 
while others gave much, these brave men gave all, and 
to their memory all honor is due. 

We therefore invite and earnestly urge that all 
soldiers in Rutland and vicinity.. will be present as the 
guests of Post Roberts at the exercises in Rutland on 
the 30th day of May next, and with us heartily join in 
making the day fragrant with the memory of those who, 
though dead, at least on Memorial day shall always be 
faithfully remembered by us. 






For th% Post. 
Riltland, Vt , May* 20, 1881. 




(802) 775-2006 

The society publishes the Quarterly for its members with the aim of preserving 
and studying the history of the Rutland community, which is comprised of the 
Towns of Rutland, Proctor and West Rutland and the City of Rutland. The Society 
maintains and operates a museum at 101 Center Street, Rutland, in the former 
Bank of Rutland building (built in 1825), now owned by the City of Rutland and 
leased to the Society at no charge. 


Membership in the Society is open to all upon payment of dues to the 

Membership Secretary— Hope E. Hubbard, 248 Lincoln Avenue, Rutland, VT 05701 

Dues are $3.00 per year for regular members; for those wishing to give the 
Society further support, a contributing membership is $10.00; a business 
membership is $25.00; a sustaining membership is $100.00; and a life membership 
(one payment only) is $75.00. 

All members receive as part of their membership four issues of the Quarterly. 
The expiration date of each membership is listed on the mailing label of the 
publication. Members wishing to pay two or more years' dues in advance are en- 
couraged to do so to reduce costs. 

Manuscripts are invited; address correspondence to the Editor. 

Gifts or bequests of money or articles of local historical interest are welcome at 
all times and are deductible for income tax purposes. 

Editor: Michael L. Austin 
Managing Editor: Jean C. Ross 


101 Center Street 
Rutland, Vermont 05701 



Rutland, Vermont 
Permit No. 12 


The number or letter on the address label indicates your dues status: 
80 one year in arrears 81 current L life membership